When / Where:
* New York City Hall Steps (Btw. Broadway and Park Row)
* Wednesday June 10, 1 p.m.
* We will meet at 12:30 p.m. by the fountain in City Hall park so that we have time to go through security.
* Parade will follow demonstration.
The future of Coney Island is in danger!
The City’s current flawed rezoning plan would destroy Coney Island’s unique character and undermine its historic amusement district: It allows high-rise towers up to 27 stories tall in the heart of Coney Island’s amusement district. It limits the area reserved for the outdoor rides to a narrow, nine-acre strip of land. It endangers Coney Island’s historic buildings.
And time is running out! The Planning Commission will vote on the plan in just a couple of weeks!
We must urge Mayor Bloomberg, Council member Recchia, and the rest of City Council to fix this flawed plan:
* Expand the acreage for outdoor rides and amusements. Nine acres isn’t enough!
* Keep high-rises out of the heart of the amusement district.
* Protect small businesses, create amusement jobs, preserve Coney Island’s historic structures.
By fixing its plan, the City can revitalize Coney Island’s historic amusement district, preserving this local treasure as a playground for all New Yorkers, a world-class tourist destination and an economic engine for New York City.